UNESCO and The Water Agency are seeking candidates for the UNESCO Water Resilience Challenge 2022 on the theme of GROUNDWATER. Indonesian and Vietnamese citizens between the ages of 18 and 30, full-time undergraduate students or those who have graduated from college, university, or other institutions of higher learning, who demonstrate a great passion of water issues and its potential in their university or place of work, have an interest in community service and volunteerism, and have a good command of English, are invited to apply for the program. The application deadline is 11:59 PM, 21st of August, 2022.
This Challenge is an intensive short-term academic program whose purpose is to provide groups of young leaders with a deeper understanding of Groundwater and Biosphere Reserves while enhancing their leadership skills. The three-week virtual program and one-week field trip will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, lectures, leadership activities and site visits to Merapi-Merbabu-Menoreh Biosphere Reserve (for Indonesian participants) and Dong Nai Biosphere Reserve (for Vietnamese participants). At the end of the program, each team of five participants will present their concept solutions to raising public awareness of groundwater and how it supports life in the Biosphere Reserve areas. One winning team from each country with the most innovative ideas will be considered for awards and invited to UNESCO International Conferences.
All in-person programs will follow safety guidelines issued by the Vietnamese Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Indonesian Task Force for COVID-19 Handling (Satgas COVID -19), and national and local authorities.
Participants’ costs during Phase II (including travel, activity fees, accommodation, and meals) will be covered by the organisers and partners.
These will be the important milestones that you need to keep in mind:
- 08 August, 2022 – Applications Open
- 21 August, 2022 – Applications Close at 11:59 PM
- 25 August, 2022 – Participants Announcement
- 26 August – 14 September, 2022 – Virtual workshops & Knowledge Exchanges
- 19 – 23 September, 2022 – Site visit
ELIGIBILITY & SELECTION CRITERIA
- Be an Indonesian or Vietnamese citizen;
- Be a full-time undergraduate student or have graduated in the past four years from college, university, or other institutions of higher learning;
- Be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English;
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university, place of work, and/or community;
- Demonstrate interest, knowledge, or professional experience in Water, Climate and Environmental Issues;
- Demonstrate a commitment or interest in community service or volunteerism;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about Groundwater and Biosphere Reserve;
- Be willing to actively participate in an intensive academic program, site visit and project planning;
- And have a commitment to return to their hometown to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community and country.
APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION INFORMATION
- Step 1: Prepare supporting files as listed:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), preferably in English;
- Academic transcript, preferably in English and required if you are a student;
- A one-minute video or a 300-word essay explaining why you are interested in this program and why you are a suitable candidate.
- Step 2: Upload all three items into a folder in any preferred cloud storage (for example: Google Drive, One Drive, etc.)
- Step 3: Complete the Registration Form in Climate Lab Asia.
- Step 4: Paste the folder link from Step 2 to final question in Registration Form.
The application deadline is 11:59 PM, 21st of August, 2022. No exceptions will be made regarding the deadline.
Feel free to share the article link or download it as a PDF below.